13 Jun June Athlete of the Month
- Where did you grow up?
I grew up in Southern Maryland specifically Clinton Maryland. My parents were in the Air Force and we were stationed at Andrews AFB and Bolling AFB. We lived on Andrews for a while before my parents bought a home in Clinton, MD.
- Did you have any siblings, pets – what was your home life like?
Yes, I have an older brother and a sister. I also had 2 dogs, a German Sheppard that we pretty much grew up with until he passed, and then we got a Labrador. I had a pretty normal upbringing played outside a lot and video games.
- Were you involved in sports and/or other activities?
Yes, I was heavily involved in youth sports such as basketball and baseball. We typically played in the Rec leagues on Andrews AFB.
- How were you first introduced to CrossFit?
Henry and I used to work together and we were talking about working out and how we saw this Gym “Blue Crab” when it was in Elkridge and how we wanted to try it and it all started from there. I also was coming of an ACL surgery from playing basketball and wanted to get stronger. We signed up for foundations and having been doing it ever since and I think this year is the 4th year.
- What was your workout routine like before starting at Blue Crab?
My workout routine before BCCF consisted of mainly cardio, playing basketball, and running outdoors. I had never lifted any weights prior to coming to Blue Crab.
- How long have you been a BCCF member, what is your favorite workout/movement, etc. Do you have a favorite BCCF memory? How do you feel CrossFit has changed/influenced your life?
I have been a BCCF member almost 4 years now, and my favorite movement is Power Cleans. CrossFit has improved my overall health I feel, when I can consistently eat healthy as well. But I definitely notice I have more explosion and endurance when playing basketball.
- What goals do you have within the next year – CrossFit and non-CrossFit?
My crossfit goal is to be able to Hand Stand Walk, which I probably would have accomplished by now if can ever make it to Open Gym, which I never do. But one day I will get there, I hope when my schedule settles down.
- Tell me about your life outside of the gym – favorite thing to do when your bored, favorite meal, music, job etc. Give me one really random fact that people may not know about you. What are you looking forward to most this summer?
Well, I am a Father/Husband outside of the gym and I have a wonderful family. My son JB is 12, my daughter Mia is 6, and I have a 4 month old named Ari. I also participate in Howard County and Work basketball leagues throughout the year and will play and occasional video game with JB. My favorite type of food is probably seafood and BBQ. One random fact that people may not know about me is that I share a birthday every year with someone because I have a fraternal twin. One thing I am looking forward most to this summer is the warmer weather. Seems to be the older I get the more I appreciate the warmer weather.